Informed Parents Group Natural Childbirth Group Classes
Place/Time: Life's Little Blessings Birth Center; Runs for 6 consecutive Thursdays from 6-8:30
These are natural childbirth classes and are geared towards couples desiring a low to non-intervention birth. Focuses are knowingyour options, informed consent, and cesarean prevention, as well as the physiological and emotional processes of pregnancy and birth.
These classes are for couples delivering in either home, birth center, or hospital settings.
Fee: $60 for the 6 week series.
- Midwifery and doula clients of LLB receive the group classes at no charge.
- For those with a true financial need, scholarships may be available.
- Private makeup classes are available in your home at an additional fee.
What will be taught in the Informed Parents Group Natural Childbirth classes?
The classes could vary somewhat depending on couples' needs, you will learn:
- How to choose which types of caregivers you would like to attend your birth
- How to understand and work with the physical and emotional changes of pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period.
- How to be informed about the options available to you in a hospital birth
- How to choose foods and exercises for a healthy pregnancy
- How to write a personal birth plan to communicate with your caregiver about the birth you desire
- How to prepare for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- What is a doula? How to determine if a doula is right for your family
- How to use a range of relaxation and comfort techniques during labor
- How certain positions can help make labor more comfortable
- How to be informed about the benefits and risks of interventions
- How to avoid unnecessary cesareans and other interventions
- How you can remain empowered even when interventions are required
- How to care for yourself and your baby after the birth
- How to contact resources in your community for support with breastfeeding, postpartum and newborn care
Next Class Dates (2017):
Jan. 26 - Mar.2
May 25 - June 29
Aug. 3 - Sept. 7
Oct. 12 - Nov. 16
Thursday evenings from 6-8:30. Six (6) consecutive classes.
"Kristen's childbirth education classes were enormously helpful in preparing us for this journey, and I appreciated her emphasis on being informed and owning our own decisions."
- Gwen, Roanoke, VA