The Midwives' Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives' Model of Care Includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section. (Copyright (c) 1996-2008, Midwifery Task Force, Inc.)
For more information about the Birth Center, please click here.
Why do people choose a home birth?
A home birth is not for everyone; in fact only two or three percent of Americans plan to have their babies at home. For these select few an out of hospital birth is greatly desired. Following are some of the reasons people choose to give birth at home.
- Home birth is simpler and more intimate—no strangers, and low use of technology.
- The parents feel more secure and in control in their familiar surroundings, with loved ones helping and no one else’s rules to follow.
- Labor and birth are treated as normal bodily processes. Hospital birth is pathology-oriented, and perceives labor more like a disease than a normal process. Birth is treated with numerous unnecessary interventions, medications and procedures. Some hospitals have so many routines and regulations that parents feel they have no choices. Convenience for hospital staff sometimes means inconvenience for parents.
- The same familiar midwife stays throughout labor, while in the hospital, changing shifts of unfamiliar nurses and frequently, unfamiliar doctors provide care in the hospital.
- Uninterrupted contact with the baby and feeding on demand are possible in at home; there is no need to separate baby from parents for observation or routine care.
- Parents can eat their own food, wear their own clothes, and welcome whomever they want whenever they want, all in the privacy of their own home.
- Home births cost a fraction of the cost of hospital births.
- The midwives’ expertise in normal natural birth makes a great difference in the woman’s ability to minimize her use of pain medications without suffering.
Due to the highly individualized services of homebirth, prices are set according to the needs (insurance, cash paying clients, etc.) and desires for each birthing family.
Please contact me for an initial consultation and interview at no charge. We can discuss your needs and desires and set a price accordingly.